We have all suffered from small cuts, burns and wounds that are painful and are slow to heal.
What I believe should be in everyone’s medicine cabinet is Yunnan Baiyao, a traditional Chinese medicine product that gained it’s popularity during the Vietnam War. Soldiers who suffered gunshot wounds and trauma would take this pill as a first-aid treatment. Today, it is available as a powder to apply on any small wounds, cuts or burns.
Yunnan Baiyao, and notably it’s main ingredient notoginseng, contain hemostatic, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, according to several vitro and animal studies.
Next time you have a small wound I would recommend:
1. Stop the bleeding with pressure
2. Rinse off any debris or dirt with water, and dry
3. Apply Yunnan BaiYao powder to reduce the pain, swelling, bleeding and to promote healing; You can also use an antibiotic cream (such as Neosporin)
4. Cover with bandage if necessary
5. Take one Yunnan Baiyao pill to help your wound healing from the interior
Always be prepared! Stock up your first-aid kid drawer in case you ever burn your hand on the oven (ouch!)